Spring Awakening: A Short Review

My niece and I went to see Spring Awakening yesterday. I've become something of a Broadway fanatic since last year. Thinking we'd move out West by 2008, I wanted to absorb as much of the New York experience as possible. I've seen Rent twice, Stomp (off-Broadway), the Evil Dead (off-Broadway), Xanadu and Avenue Q in the last year. That's as many plays as I've been to my entire life. The full list? Wicked, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Phantom, Les Mis, and going way back, Annie.)

Spring Awakening was, in a word, haunting. The award-winning lighting added to the effect, while the kickin' rock score, anachronistic for a play set in the 1890s, added an indescribable energy. Blake Bashoff as Moritz had a voice not unlike Green Day's lead singer, adding an alt rock flavor to the music. Befitting a Broadway performer, though, his range was absolutely incredible.

I tried to describe the plot to TJ when I got home from the city, and something got lost in the translation. You have to see it to fully understand the plot, themes and motifs.

It's a play about sex, abstinence, life, death, religion, atheism, rebellion, growing up, abuse, respect and more.

The male lead, Jonathan Groff as Melchior was equally strong as an actor and singer; his passion had half the audience fighting back tears during the penultimate scene. The onscreen chemistry between he and Lea Michele (Wendla) was nearly tangible. What a great pair! Lea Michele kicked off the play with one of those scenes--and songs--that sticks in your mind. Her voice filled the Eugene O'Neill theatre with the opening notes of "Mama Who Bore Me" and we knew we were in for something good!

Two days later, I'm still thinking about the play, it's meanings and messages. I'm also considering ways i can share my love of Broadway with others, further my freelance writing career, and maybe make some extra money (of course.)

At this point, "Will Write for Broadway Tix" -- in spite of what many pros would say about never writing for free -- seems a reasonable declaration.