DawnAllcot@gmail.com / www.allcotmedia. com
FREELANCE WRITER / EDITOR / PUBLIC RELATIONS / GHOSTWRITER
* My ability to generate ideas, create clean copy on tight deadlines and juggle multiple tasks has earned me thousands of writing credits and regular assignments. Since 2001, editors have counted on me to turn in complex assignments under strict deadlines.
* My background in magazine editing since 1997 means I know what editors want. I can take the reins of a project and guide it to completion, or write snappy copy to a client’s specifications.
* From press releases to web copy to feature articles, I approach every project with professionalism and enthusiasm.
Preferred topics include: audiovisual and lighting technology, particularly in the house of worship market; pregnancy & parenting; work-at-home business management; freelance writing; health/ fitness/beauty; Feng Shui; paintball; music & arts education.
ALLCOT MEDIA: Freelance writing, editing, proofreading, marketing
December 2001 – Present (full-time)
CURRENT / RECENT CLIENTS
* Regular contributor to print publications, including: Church Production, Worship Facilities Magazine, Sound & Communications, Club Business International;
* Blogger/writer for BabiesOnline.com;
* Columnist for Shooting Hot Magazine
* Published in Cup of Comfort for Sisters and Sacred Water, personal essay anthologies;
* Proofreader for LI Performance Poets Association Literary Review;
* Contributor to The Complete Guide to Paintball, fourth edition;
* Media Coordinator for Special Ops Paintball Elite Weekend and SPPL tournament series;
* Other clients include: iPrayerWorks, Aadvert International, the FitAdvocate, Ken Lauher, Makeup.com, BabiesOnline.com, AbsoluteWrite.com, and FamilyResource.com.
* Working knowledge of QuarkXpress, InDesign, Photoshop, Wordpress, Blogger
* Write and maintain writer’s blog at www.allcotmedia.com
* Well-versed in social media w/ strong existing social network
* Experience in writing keyword articles for SEO optimization
OFFICE EDITORIAL EXPERIENCE
Global Media (May 2004 – March 2007)
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 / 631.580.7772
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (May 2004 – March 2007)
Paintball Sports Magazine
* Re-designed monthly newsstand publication, in collaboration with art department;
* Improved editorial content, resulting in increased circulation and advertising sales income;
* Consistently met strict editorial/photography budget while maintaining the highest standards of creative quality;
* Created new features and departments designed to target our main demographic (males, ages 15 – 45) and showcase the “paintball lifestyle;”
* Generated article ideas, wrote multiple departments and features, managed freelance staff;
* Promoted magazine at dozens of national events.
Testa Communications (August 1997 – October 2002)
Port Washington, NY / 516.767.2500
Held several titles at multi-property, multimedia publishing firm. Details below.
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (May 2000 – October 2002)
Band & Orchestra Product News
* Consistently completed magazine on time and under budget;
* Developed positive relationships with industry members, advertisers and readership through trade show presence and consistent phone contact.
* Oversaw production of all editorial content for magazine and companion website;
* Managed a staff of freelancers and two assistant editors;
EXECUTIVE EDITOR (April 2000 – July 2000)
Club Systems International
* Worked with publisher to launch, from concept and design to editorial content, monthly trade magazine focused on the sound, lighting and video systems in nightclubs;
* Edited first two issues of magazine while simultaneously editing B&O Product News;
* Promoted magazine at trade shows;
* Developed a freelance staff and fostered industry relationships.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR (July 1999 – May 2000)
Band & Orchestra Product News
* Introduced the “Making More Music Makers” scholarship program, coordinated the contest, secured sponsors and judged hundreds of entries;
* Worked closely with editor to generate story ideas, write features, report news, and establish an industry presence.
EDITORIAL ASSISTANT (August 1997 – July 1999)
Sound & Communications, DJ Times, Music & Sound Retailer, B&O Product News
* Spearheaded communication and idea trade between staff;
* Promoted to Associate Editor, B&O Product News, Staff Writer, Music & Sound Retailer and Managing Editor, Sound & Communications Blue Book, all within six months.
* Wrote news, product sections, and feature stories;
* Acted as Administrative Assistant to Editorial Director.
Long Island University, Southampton
English/Writing major, staff writer for campus newspaper